Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oh NO!! Bad Mommy!

So today I had planned to catch you up on the last couple of busy days (reconnecting with old friends, family meals going down and coming up--inside joke) or playing tag since I've failed to think of 7 strange facts about myself (or maybe I just can't narrow it down!). However........our life got rudely interrupted.

I was in the middle of laundry and packing (can't believe I'm packing already, after Ethiopia I swore I'd never look at those duffels again) for our trip to KY when disaster struck. Yes, I'm being dramatic for my readers' benefit. It was nap time for Mari and I was looking forward to 2 hours of prep without chasing a crawler...she was very tired but a little resistent to sleep so I decided to rock her...usually this only gets done at night but we had such a nice time in the rocker last night I figured I'd treat her to a midafternoon rocking. Just as she was settling down to sleep (in other words, I was relaxed and not holding real tight) she arched back and flung herself over the arm of the chair (this happens frequently but usually in the middle of a fit and I'm ready). I grabbed for her and caught her left wrist and heard a "lovely" POP. She of course started screaming bloody murder. I knew I had just popped her elbow out (nursemaid's elbow) but of course was very worried that maybe I had snapped her wrist. I got her settled down in her crib, gave her some motrin and was just starting to think maybe she was okay. Then she would try to move in her sleep and her limp left arm wouldn't let her pull her blanket up and she would start screaming. So off to the ER.

Luckily we know everyone there, so they were all sympathetic. My mom came and that made Mari a little happier (actually she was just fine as long as you left her arm alone). One of our great NP's Bob (who just happens to have two little Guatemalan kiddos) popped it back in place with just a little cry and things were all better.

We are now home, fed, afternoon nap completed and all back to normal. Mari is crawling around on that arm, reaching for things, etc. We will see how she feels about the rocking chair at bedtime! Mommy might be a little scared of it.

So Mari is better, I still feel horrible but at least she didn't hit the floor head first. We are hoping to head to KY in the morning (depending on the looming ice storm tonight) so I probably won't be blogging again until Monday night.

8 comments:

Ladybugs appear said...

Hi Jill, I'm starting the process that you're going through and I would love to email you with questions as I'm a single woman too. Amari is beautiful. Congrats. I'm at elkins.amy@gmail.com if you are interested.
amy

Kristina said...

Oh, good. You got that first trip over with.:) It's all down hill from here. See, you don't have to worry about it anymore. That's one less first you have to think about.

I'm glad she's okay and that you caught her.

Jennifer and Ty said...

Oh my goodness...If it helps, i will retract my tag and stick to tagging people who have not yet brought home their children. One of the other families I tagged spent 4 hours at a baby wellness checkup the day I tagged them. Maybe I need to keep my tags to myself.
I am glad she is fine and hope you have a safe trip.

Jennifer

Stacie said...

Oh Jill, the first trip to the ER is horrid. I feel for you. I remember ours...so man do I feel for you.
Glad everything turned out all right.
Stacie F

LISA said...

I'm glad she didn't conk her head!You probably felt worse than she hurt.

Stacie said...

You sound so calm about it! Is that b/c you're a nurse? Or is the calm retrospective? I'm glad she's okay - and I'm glad you're okay! That had to be a teeny bit scary for you. Amari is one tough little girl! :)

Annie said...

glad to hear that Amari is okay! But that had to be so scary...hope the weather held out and that you are having a great weekend--

Deedra Lynn said...

I guess that's what Mari would call "mommy initiation"! You passed with flying colors, though! I know someone already asked this, but were you so calm because you're a nurse?... : )