Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New Post

I was thinking today that I seriously need to catch up my blog...then I looked at the ticker and realized that 11 months ago today, I met Mari. 11 months. I have known Mari longer than her adoption process took from decision to "gotcha". And all those months, I never thought it would ever happen. It is completely unbelieveable.

So, how is Mari these days? Well, healthwise, she is doing okay...we cleared up some of her monsterness by discovering that both her ears were infected. No other symptoms, just being a monster. Unfortunately, while the irritability left with the infection, the disobedience stayed. She is a little rascal lately...purposefully disobeying and then saying "NO"! Tonight, she was splashing her hand in her soup bowl and keep sneaking peeks at me to make sure I was looking. Argh!

Potty-training is going well. Still not there because daycare refuses to start potty-train until she is in the next room and they won't move her up yet. So, at home we do great most of the time. She has started actually telling me now when she needs to go (instead of me just guessing) and sometimes that is too late, but usually not.

Daycare is a whole different ball of wax. She is on her 4th teacher since September which does not help with trust/attachment issues (might explain some of her recent naughtiness). The curriculum has gone majorly downhill...she has gone from doing cool art projects with glitter, glue, tissue paper, paint, etc. to literally coloring everyday. Last week, they handed me 5 pages of coloring, 3 of which were the same picture. And she only scribbles on them with one color. At home, she will sit and concentrate on coloring and use lots of colors. They also are not nearly as active, they used to have dance time every day and she would come home exhausted. I think her misbehavior at school is boredom. Toddlers can't handle free play all day...they need direction. Okay, off my soapbox and I didn't even get into the food/allergy issues (let's just say it took an act of Congress for them to NOT feed her cheese...lactose issues).

Developmentally, Mari is taking off again. Another developmental spurt. She is doing much better with a spoon and can eat soup and cereal/milk now (actually easier because the food floats and she has the most problem with scooping). She can drink out of an open cup, just stand back! She talks ALL the time and sings ALL the time. She knows UP, DOWN, IN, OUT, OPEN (sounds like apple, though), and CLOSED and uses them appropriately. She knows some of her colors: BOWN (brown), BURPLE, YEWWOW, PIK (pink), BOO (blue) all of the time. She gets RED and GEEN right about half the time and just can't say orange. She can count sort-of. If you say one, she will say two, if you say three, she will say four. I did hear her count 1, 2, 3 with Blue's Clues tonight but she won't do it for me. Which is another thing, she is starting to interact with the TV. She will talk back to Blue and if Dora says "say Backpack" she will say "BAK-PA." Very cute.

Other things...Thanksgiving was great, had a really fun time with all the family. It is really sute to see Mari and her cousin Madi interacting so well together. Little Abigail was awake and happy and looking so cute. Over the rest of the weekend, I (with the help of my brother Todd, my Dad, and my babysitter Mom) redecorated my bedroom and bathroom. I'll post some pictures soon...I'm still hanging stuff on the walls and I want to do a before/after show but the computer ate my old pix so I'll have to reload from CD...ugh. Christmas shopping is done. I'll be putting up the tree this weekend...Mari's first tree! We are going to get pictures done on December 11th. It is through Celebrating Adoptions and we found someone semi-local. Looking forward to that!

On to some pictures!

This is what the outfit looks like by the time you wear training pants all day...oops!

Slurping Soup.

Brushing teeth with Mommy's toothbrush.

Sleeping with a big-girl pillow and blanket. When did she grow up?
The Thanksgiving table set with Ethiopian tablecloth. Mom you did an awesome job.
Poor dogs, they weren't invited to the table.
The whole family.

Coloring!
Abigail in her little bear suit.
The little kids table. First Thanksgiving dinner for both (last year Madi was too little and Mari was still in Ethiopia).
Madison
Just for a little reminder of how dreams do come true. This is a picture of Mari last year at Thanksgiving taken by a family traveling (Thanks CH).
Mari with her nanny.
This year, Mari with her "nanny". Actually my Mom prefers Grandma but it makes a nice comparison.

5 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

We do a little people's table too. Loved the photos. Mari is absolutely precious and her smile is so bright!! I always enjoy catching up!!

Sam's mom said...

Mari just has the BEST face. Makes me want to smile each time I see it!!

Annie said...

I loved getting caught up on Miss Mari. The little kids' table is just too cute. I can't believe all that Mari is doing and it's hard to believe she is just 20 months old. (it gives me insight into what Maya may being doing by next fall) Mari is so grown up already!

Steve and Aimee Walker said...

She is changing so much from the referral picture. She always has that beautiful smile.

Mom to many said...

Oh - what cute pictures! She has sure grown up! Wow... She has the best hair ever! I'm still waiting for pony tails. We are getting closer!