Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008!

This time last year...here is where I was!

What a way to start a new year. Luckily, I was able to spend last NewYear's Eve over the Atlantic and not in the Atlantic (as I was terrified would be the case!).

I'm saving the "big" post for Friday (our official Forever Day). But here is a cute story to keep you happy. Mari's Ethiopian name is Roza and she was very aware of her name when we met. Calling her Roza brought the biggest grin in the world, so I started calling her Mari Roza as a slow adjustment to her new name. Well, the Mari Roza has stuck and I call her this a large part of the time. When we are in a silly mood, it gets lengthened to MariPari RozaPoza. We were watching Dora the other night and I learned that mariposa is butterfly in Spanish.

She has also started (well, a couple months ago) to call herself Mimi. She can't quite get her mouth around the R in Mari and she has learned about "me and you" at school, so Mimi became her name whenever she sees her pix or reflection. I was reading a book about Ethiopia the other night and found that little boys are fondly called Mamush (which I did know thanks to a certain boyfriend) but I did not know that little girls are fondly called Mimi!

Here's my little butterfly, Mimi!
This has been the best year ever! Here's hoping 2009 is just as great!

Happy New Year!

7 comments:

MandyJo013078 said...

Jill,
Mari is just so beautiful. Your last few posts have been so touching! I can't wait to be able to have a child of my own someday! Thanks for sharing your thought and feelings - but most of all the sweet pics of Mari!
MJ

Sam's mom said...

Jill, I cannot tell you how much hope your blog gives me. When I'm feeling down about this process, I log on and look at Mari's beautiful face and know OUR child is out there too. Thank you for being such an honest blogger and such a terrific & enthusiastic mommy! Happy New you to you and Mari and the animals!

Amanda said...

Beautiful post, Jill. :)

I loved seeing the plane in the first picture...it's giving me butterflies (ha) for when we get to take a similar picture in a couple of weeks! :)
I am so excited!

Carey and Norman said...

What a cute story. Too perfect. So glad you shared this story and the memory of last New Years Eve! What a year it has been!

Happy New Year!!

kikstra said...

I can't believe how big Mari is getting, and that it's been a year since we officially met in person! Hope you are blessed in the new year, and that ringing in 2009 is more relaxing than ringing in 2008 was (I slept through that 'moment' on the airplane, so I guess I was relaxed, or exhausted!)

Julie said...

Those are wonderful amazing stories. Too cute. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year to you and your precious baby!
Julie

Annie said...

What a year it's been!! Can you believe how much your life has changed?Happy 2009! I love the cute story about her name--your little butterfly ;)