Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The child that I adopted is not my adopted child

Adopted is a verb (past-tense in this case). Adopted is not an adjective. My daughter was adopted. But she is not my adopted daughter. Are you following me here? Or are you sitting there going “huh, say what”?

My daughter was adopted. She was born to another woman who made the unselfish decision to allow her own flesh and blood to be raised and loved by another. I adopted Mari. We will always celebrate this act. The start of our family is amazing and while there is truly grief associated with what Mari has lost, we will always celebrate that our family started through the action of adoption.

My daughter is not an adjective. She is not my adopted daughter. She is my daughter.

What’s the difference?

My daughter will be always shaped by the start of her life. She has suffered some incredible losses, many which she will not comprehend until much later in life and may never come to terms with. Emotions, attachments, friendships, familial relationships - all will be influenced by the fact that she was transplanted into a family and culture that were not originally hers. There is no changing the fact that she was adopted and that this action will contribute to the person she becomes.

But she is not an adopted person. She is a person. She is not solely defined by the fact that she was adopted. The action of adoption did not make her a better person than she would have been and it did not make her less of a person than she would have been. She is very special because she is my daughter, not because she’s my adopted daughter.

I absolutely celebrate adoption and think it is the most wonderful event that has happened in my life. But I refuse to let it define my child and how she is viewed. I’m tired of her being introduced as “Jill’s adopted daughter” (not to mention that it’s a little bit obvious). I’m worried that one day she will grow up and think that the only reason she is special is because she was adopted.

Mari is special because she is super-intelligent, hilarious, engaging, charming, determined, passionate, and just plain awesome. Adoption did not make her special; it does not define who she is. It is one small chapter of her story and one that she may look back on with a sense of loss of her identity or that she may chose to celebrate as a rebirth. But she is so much more than just an adopted child. She is a normal, amazing child who just happened to be adopted.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully said. i understand and agree completely. sometimes it can be very tiresome hearing "this is deanna's son and adopted daughter from ethiopia" it makes it seem as if she's only special because of how she came to us and makes my son feel like he doesn't have a cool story like his sister. i was hoping, that with time it would fade deanna

Julie said...

I was crying before I even made it past the first sentence. This is so true, so deep and hard for others to move past. I hear it too in with my family and you want to yell out....that's not who she is, that isn't her identity. Especially because no one says, that's her son, she gave birth to him.

Thanks for sharing.

Troy and Rachel said...

Nice post Jill. Same with Daniel - he's just my son. Not my adopted son. Yes he was adopted, but now he's just a regular 'ole member of the family. Do you know that I caught myself the other day saying he had the same trait my grandmother had. Just in regular conversation. It wasn't until later that I realized that he couldn't have "gotten it" from her, but then I just sat there and smiled, because I'm just so happy that I said it and didn't think about it at all at the time. Next time, I doubt I'll even notice it. Because Daniel just is part of this family. He's just my son, and my grandmother's great grandson. He just is! Just like Mari just is! Two special little people!! (Who may get married someday...according to Mari!) and have way cool Mamas!

Kristina said...

This was a great post. No, she's not special because she's adopted. After all, she really had no say in, did she? She's an amazing little girl though! And, while she's not special because she's adopted, I just want to say that I think all parents who have adopted are special. Thank you to all of you who have adopted.

Sha Zam- said...

Well said. I always try to emphasize that I adopted. He was... in all ways.. the victim or subject of adoption. You go through the process of adopting but it doesnt stick with you. It is not an adjective. Thank you. Always nice when you find someone to agree with you! HA!! from another single momma

Stephanie said...

Well said Jill.

Unknown said...

Very well put. Just stumbled here for the first time but glad I did. :)

Bruce said...

I am very sure I never took the time to think this issue through. I couldn't put it in words more beautifully than you have. And while I can’t gauge my bias I try to not let it surface. But I honestly believe children born in the last few years that have true family love, adequate and good food, and a complete sense of protection and safety are proving to be far brighter and more talented than any generation before. And they all are special. Bruce

Ashes said...

Thanks for this Jill. My husband and I are planning to adopt in a few years and appreciate insight into what families are going through now.

Mindy said...

Lovely, Jill. My daughters became mine through adoption as well, and yes, they simply ARE my daughters. One a teenager now, one almost. One far more emotionally affected by having been adopted than the other, both absolutely magnificent people. Both loved beyond measure.

Now as one enters middle school and one takes an ACT/SAT preparation course at school, our lives are filled with far more immediate issues than adoption. It floats near the surface, obvious if you see us - but for us, rarely the issue of the moment.

Your essay is beautiful. Thanks for sharing what we in the adoption community know so well.

Sean and Rachel Kerrigan said...

Love this Jill. It leaves a lump in my throat because I SO agree and SO relate to this difficult to explain subject. Hope we all get to meet someday!

Rachel said...

Jill,

this is an AMAZING post, I agree with you 100% but never put it into words as well as you have. We have been pretty lucky that most people in our community refer to us as Jacob's mommy & daddy, and not an emphasis on the fact that our son has been adopted. But there's always that stinging comment that leaves me crushed and fuming at the same time. Thanks for sharing your insight!
Rachel