Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, September 5, 2008

Long Post with lots of happenings!

Wow, so much going on in our little world. I’ll try to catch up.

First, as I eluded to in my last very brief post, I have a new niece. Her name is Abigail Kate and she was born Sept 4 at 12:21 pm. This is the first kid for my oldest brother Todd and his wife Diana. My two brothers and I have gone 3 for 3 with the girls (I cheated genetics a little on mine!)...guess it’s time to work on some boys now! See slide show below for pix.



Mari...where to start? She has turned into quite the Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde lately. One day she is all-out Miss Crabby-pants and the next day she is so silly. She is communicating more and more with both words and signs. She can sign more, please, eat, mommy, dog, milk, stop or help (similar signs and not sure which). She puts more and please together a lot! She is also pairing up the sign for please with actually saying it and she is learning to say thank you (with prompting). She knows quite a few animals, either the name of them or the sound: doggie woof woofs, kit-kat eows, duck kak kaks, baa (for sheep), ooo ooo (for owl), moo (for cow - duh!), she kind of grunts for goat, she bounces for frog (cause I always bounce when I say ribbit), but I absolutely can NOT get her to say neigh for horse–she just looks at me.

But the big news.........she is potty-training herself. I was casually thinking of starting this fall but not really looking forward to it. She took matters into her own hands. I bought a potty chair months ago because she kept pooping in the tub and I wanted something handy for the first sign of poopy face. Then she stopped pooping in the tub so I just put it in the corner of the bathroom. So she has been playing with the potty chair lately lifting the lid up and down. I always strip Mari down before her bath and let her run around naked while the tub fills up but a couple times this week, she peed all over the carpet (and not just a little bit–like she was saving up). So Wednesday night, I stripped her down and sat her on the potty chair, turned around and started the water and turned back...I heard this little musical ditty and thought "NO WAY!" Oh yes way! She peed in the potty! I thought it was beginner’s luck, the whole "novelty" angle, whatever. So we went Thursday to see little Abigail and I changed Mari’s diaper before leaving the hospital at 7pm. I made sure to get to her as soon as she woke up this morning...she was DRY (11 hours and she was dry...how in the world?????). So I put her on the potty chair, she grinned, peed, got up and toddled off to find her sippy cup. I’m cheering all over the place and she’s looking at me like I’m a nut. So after daycare today, I took her in the house and asked her if she wanted to pee in the potty, she walked right over to it, I stripped her, she sat down and peed!!!!!

Holy Cow! I’m not ready!!!!! Do they even make underwear in 12 months, cause that’s what size she is in (occasionally 18 months pants so we can accommodate the diaper). Oy!



I ordered Mari a doll (for Forever Day which isn't until Jan. 2) from Autumn who is another CHI mom awaiting her referral. Check out her blog for pix of the doll that is special made just for Mari...it is beautiful (as are ALL of Autumn's crafts).

On Tuesday, I'm taking Mari to our nearest IAC (International Adoption Clinic) where she will get a full evaluation including hearing tested and comprehensive developmental evaluation. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe we will solve a couple of lingering issues. I'll let you know next week.

4 comments:

Julianne said...

She's such a big girl! Love the Elmo slippers; Brendan had Cookie Monster. Too cute!

The Taylor Family said...

Congrats on the newest addition to the family! She's so precious, and tiny.

Unfortunately I don't have sound capabilities at the moment, but I was laughing out loud at your videos. I'll definitely be replaying them with sound soon for the full effect.

Mari seems to be doing SOOOOO MUCH! I can't believe how much she's talking and signing. And walking, running, AND POTTY TRAINING HERSELF? Girl, you've got it made! :) Glad to hear about all her newest tricks. She must keep you on your toes.

Good luck at the appointment. Hopefully you get some answers about the "Ethiopian flu," ear infections, etc. Malachi is having the second half of a developmental screening next Friday. Maybe we can chat by email sometime. Are you going to an IAC at UVA? Our pediatrician did a rotation/internship there.

MandyJo013078 said...

Jill,
Mari is just so cute! Congrats on the new niece and the potty training that is just wonderful! Thanks for all the great pictures! She is just such a sweet little girl. I'm thinking about going to a local adoption support group meeting. The agency that I contacted about adopting here in the twin cities has rules that I wouldn't be able to choose the sex of the baby that I adopt so I've been thinking about doing some more research on other agencies as I'm not sure about parenting a little boy when I'm going to be a single mom. You'll have to let me know how your appointment with the IAD goes! Can't wait to hear about it.
MandyJo

Sally said...

Congratulations Todd and Diana! She is so cute :) Thanks for posting pictures for them, since I wouldn't get any news otherwise (tell your brother he's a slacker - oh wait, don't, I haven't emailed him in just as long :D)