Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Watch Out - Religious Statement Coming!

I don't use my blog as a platform for much in the way of issues, I very rarely even bring emotions into it. It is mostly a blog to keep my family, friends, and fellow adopters up-to-date with the adoption process and, now of course, our post-adoptive adjustments. I am always checking out other blogs, some more than others and I have found one family that I want to take the time to share. First, they have adopted some HIV+ children; this was something I was too afraid to do, mostly because as a single parent, my resources are limited. They have also rescued a gorgeous little girl (and they would probably not like the term "rescued" but it is true in every sense of the word) from the brink of death to give her a loving home. Take time to scroll back through the last couple of months to read the beautiful story of Selah.

But here is where my statement comes in...I don't talk about religion (ever). There are too many sad and hurtful things in my past that block my desire to be part of an organized religion. Just the term "organized" somehow takes away from the freedom to worship and believe the way I want to. I won't get into my beliefs here other than to say that they are strong and grounded thanks to a good upbringing. Here is my point...read this particular post. If you are a church leader, a church member, or just call yourself a Christian and this fails to stir you...then I'm not the one with the problem. I have read this statistic over and over again so I'm going to spell it out plainly.

If 7% of the people in the world who call themselves Christians would adopt one child, there would be NO orphans!

Hello, did you read that? Read it again. Do you call yourself a Christian? Then why are there still children without families?

Disclaimer: Before you leave a lot of messages (which I welcome) trying to justify your decisions, please realize that I know that adoption is not right for every family and every situation. But if you can't, what are you doing to help those that will?

7 comments:

Carolyn T said...

YES!!!!! WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! TELL IT!!!
LOVE,
Care

Zaza's Mama said...

Jill, I am also not a religious person, and all I can say is a resounding AMEN. I agree adoption is not for everyone, but I really strongly feel you should practice what you preach. That is all I will say without delving any further. My husband and I have chosen to adopt our children because I have never had a yearning to have biological children and have always wanted to adopt. Thank you for having the guts to say this publicly.

Dawn Webber
Officially waiting 5 months for a baby girl from CHI

Stacie said...

Right on Jill! You should go out and buy the book Red Letters. It is written from a Christian/Spiritual perspective but it calls "The Church" out completely for allowing Africa and other nations to burn with AIDS - standing by and doing nothing. (And then of course that leads to the orphan crisis.) I loved it and you know where I stand spiritually - I think you will like it.

gigglechirp said...

Yeah, that book that Stacie mentioned, makes a lot of good points. (she's the one who told me about it, too!)

Mom to many said...

Wow! That is an alarming statement. Thanks for posting it!

Julianne said...

Wow! That's a very profound statement and really makes you think and put Christianity and family into perspective! You Go Girl!!! Hmmm....our past religious experiences....AAUUGGHH!!!

Anonymous said...

This is why I keep reading your blog! Love it.