Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week in Review.

Just a quick post...then I have to get to bed. The real world awaits in the morning. So to wrap up a long week at my new job, overall it went well. I was pretty overwhelmed Monday but things went uphill from there. My coworkers (my "team") gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers on Tuesday and everyone has been so nice and helpful. I guess I haven’t really explained what my new job is and, truthfully, I’m not really sure myself! I am now "plant nurse" at a large factory that specializes in spinning synthetic fibers. There are lots of hazardous materials and toxic chemicals around that I’ve had to learn about, as well as all the fun stuff that comes with working in an occupational health field (worker’s comp., hearing testing, respirators, etc.). Add in that I’m in "management," and that threw in a lot more training and stuff about proprietary info and trade secrets, etc. All stuff I know nothing about and couldn’t tell you if I did! The corporate world is very different from the hospital.

My job description is somewhat fluid. The nurse that I’m replacing (she’s retiring) actually specialized in some of the other aspects of the plant and only assumed the nursing role after the previous one left, so she really didn’t do a lot of the medical stuff. The medical stuff has been handled by the physician’s assistant that is there but his specialty is also elsewhere and they want him back in his other role more. So I’ve basically been given the green light to take over the medical end of stuff and make the clinic my own. The clinic is 3 rooms (not including offices and hearing room, respirator room, etc) that were built in the good old days. Very antiquated but definitely workable. I’ve started going through everything and will start rearranging to my liking and revamping after I get my feet wet and learn more what is necessary. The only "real" nursing I got to do this week was irrigate some ears (which they were all excited about because they usually send these to the employee’s doc to do). Very far cry from the ER! But the hours are great. I get to pick Mari up from daycare about 5 and we go home and eat dinner and play, then bath and bed....just like it’s supposed to work!

As for Mari...she actually had some difficulty with daycare. Her first day was fine but Tuesday and Wednesday were rough. I was surprised because she never cried before at daycare but she’s had a LOT of changes lately. Thursday they peeled her out of my arms (she even held on with her legs) and Friday she did better but still cried. Overall, though she is doing great. Every time I pick her up, someone is playing with her or helping her walk around the room, they are VERY interactive with the kids. She was walking Friday when I got there and she ran into my arms, hugged me and then waved and said "bye-bye" to her caregiver. Too cute!

She totally forgot how to crawl this weekend. I’m not sure she spent more than about 15 minutes on the ground. She LOVES walking and she can move fast! Good thing her diaper provides a cushion! She also decided she wanted to feed herself, so we started with a spoon and spork. I learned the messy way to just remove the shirt when using a spoon for the first time! She is talking like crazy and can now tell you that the "doddy" (dog) says "wuff-wuff." She sings "ro, ro, ro, bo" (Row, Row, Row your boat)–we sing this ALL the way to daycare in the mornings. AUGH!!!

On to pix.


My pretty flowers!

Spoon and Spork!

Yummy!

My SIL Diana's baby shower was Saturday. It was an English tea party at a local tea room. Diana didn't want her picture everywhere so here is a picture of the lovely treats we had. Just a little longer for the newest member of the family!

This is what a long day ends up to be. A new babysitter for a few hours. A couple hours walking around the grandparent's house. Zzzzz!

Feeding the doggie Cheerios! Watch her drop the Cheerio, pick it up and put it in her mouth and then give it back to the dog. I guess it could be worse, it could go from the dog's mouth to hers.

Walking. Not the best example...she gets a little excited and goes splat! But the way she walks (like Frankenstein) is so cute. Notice that she does not let go of the Cheerios even when she falls and smacks her face (she wasn't hurt!).

Look for a new post on Wednesday. It will be the six-month anniversary of our "Forever Day" (I saw that used on another blog and I like it better than "gotcha" although I still use "gotcha" most of the time, it makes more sense to the "outside" world). Anyway, I have something special planned for that day.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Mari is such a cutie pie! I love checking our your blog and keeping track of Mari's progress. Hopefully we can meet some day...I'm in Kansas City!

Rachel Rubin
rachelrubin38@yahoo.com

Don't Mess With Mommy said...

Sounds like the new job is awesome. So glad you will have a normal routine and time with your babe.