Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's hot and Mari's walking!!! (Long post)

We’ve had a wild and crazy weekend here in the land of Mari. I had my last day at work on Friday...it was a pleasant day, lots of cake and not too many patients–a nice combination. I’m going to miss everyone terribly and it was very weird leaving there...the ER is definitely one place where life goes on without you.

When I arrived home, my cousin Juli had arrived from KY with her son Brendan, now 4 years old. My Aunt Phyllis also came along and I got to visit with her for awhile before she zoomed off to stay with my parents. The company was a much needed distraction and, let me just say, a 4-year-old will make you forget everything else. From sneaking tootsie rolls in bed to chasing the animals, he never stopped! Mari had a blast! And, thanks to some AC problems, my brother Chad and SIL Lesa spent quite a bit of time at my house this weekend with my niece Madi. The heat index was well over 100 for the entire weekend and their house was trying to match the outside temperature. So we had a massive slumber party. The kids had fun together but I think the adults had more fun after the wee ones were asleep. We had a rip-roaring game of Cranium; it has been a long time since we sat down to play games because one or more of us is usually cutting out early to get the kids to bed...the solution, a sleepover!

The interaction seems to have spurred Mari into developmental overdrive. This weekend she suddenly decided that she could just stand up in the middle of the living room without any help. And today....SHE WALKED!!! She took a step and sat down, stood up and took 3 steps and then face planted in front of me. We practiced lots and lots and made it up to 5 steps...exhausting work! She is also blowing kisses to everyone and today she learned to kiss on the face. So now, she crawls over and smacks a slobber on me...so cute. Lots of new words and sounds...she loves saying vrrooom with her cars and has added a sort-of buzzzzz sound (she has a bee toy that we buzz). Tonight the dog was barking outside and she grinned and said "uf-uf." Close enough!! Crazy cute...I’m LOVING every minute of this age.

On to some pix (and video!).

Cousin Madi turned 1 year old on Tuesday the 3rd. Happy Birthday! She had a party last weekend, so here are some pix. Mari dressed for a party but hiding under the table...go figure that one out!

Playing together before cake time!

Yum, Yum, Yum.

"I'm ONE!"

"Hey, can I have some?"

"Okay, that's better. A cupcake all my own!"

Styling in some cool clothes.

Madi's first try at swimming in Mari's purple-pink-plaid-three-ring-inflatable pool (from Target--who else would sell a purple-pink plaid pool?). Not so sure she likes it. "Mommy, pick me up!"

A little better in Aunt Jill's lap, but not really feeling the swimming thing yet.


The crazy clan. Mari, Brendan, and Madi. Don't let this picture fool you...it was snapped quickly and the next second, there were tears and nose-dives.

Cleaning out the toys so I can play in the cabinet.

Our favorite toy. Stick the balls in the giraffe's mouth, he sings songs and the balls swirl down and pop out the legs. Mari has gotten so good at it, she decided that she should branch out and use more toys. I actually had to do a toy-ectomy on the poor giraffe. Weebles just don't digest well!

This is what a day of learning to walk does to you!
Mommy was nice enough to pick me up off the floor but I wasn't ready to get up--she didn't mind too much!


Videos!!!! (No one was hurt in the making of these videos...even though the first one cuts off with Mari laying one the floor, she laughed it off. But I cut off the camera to pick her up so it doesn't show that she really is okay...trust me, we've had a lot worse tumbles!)




7 comments:

LISA said...

Wow!She's walking??!!! How fun!!
I Love the pool video!

MandyJo013078 said...

Jill-
She is just so cute ! Thanks for sharing the cute video and the pictures! Glad you had a great weekend! It's so great that Mari started walking! That is a great age when they are starting to walk and talk!
MJ

Eastiopians said...

She is soooo cute! She makes me ache for a baby again! I'm glad I found your blog today.

Stacie said...

She is just so cute! (I just saw someone else said the same thing! :) I can't believe she's walking too! Micah is taking his time with that. :)

Steve and Aimee Walker said...

Mari's smile is contagious. She must be the happiest little girl.

Don't Mess With Mommy said...

Spud is so coveting Mari's car. Walking . . . that's awesome!

Annie said...

can't believe she is walking already!! So great to get caught up on your little sweetie. I love the photo of her covered in frosting.