Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Humility of Blue M&Ms

So one of my favorite movies is What a Girl Wants starring Amanda Bynes, Kelly Preston, and Colin Firth (be still my heart!). I won't go into the plot and the reasoning behind my love of this movie...just wanted to give a little background to my story. There is an exchange near the beginning of the movie between mother and teenage daughter, the former trying to cheer up the latter. The mom says "I love you a million swedish fish" and the daughter answers "I love you a million red M&Ms." (Forgive me if I misquote...it's close enough for what I'm trying to explain). It is obvious by the exchange that this has been a private little tradition for the two of them, probably since the daughter was a small child. I really like associating love with intangible amounts of something tangible...and I love candy. So I decided to start this tradition with Mari. If you're still hanging in here...read on for my dose of very cute humility.

The scene: Mari in her PJs, books read, music on, sitting in the rocking chair before bed, head nestled on my shoulder, speaking in very soft, sweet tones.

Mom: Mari, I love you.
Mari: I love you too, Mommy.
Mom: Mari, I love you so much.
Mari: Mommy, I love you so much too.
Mom: I love you more Mari.
Mari: I love you more too so much Mommy.
Mom: Mari, I love you a million blue M&Ms.
Mari sits straight up, looks me in the eye with her eyes flashing bright....
Mari: Mommy, I LOOOOVE Blue M&Ms!!!!!!!

9 comments:

Steve and Ali said...

So I think I heard on Good Morning American something about the dye in blue M & M's being used to treat spinal cord injuries!! I swear I am not making that up. : )

Sorry, I digress. . . adorable story as always!!

The Taylor Family said...

That's HILARIOUS! Thanks for making me laugh out loud tonight! (Thanks for checking back in on our blog, too.)

Amanda said...

lol-not only do I know what you're talking about, I too love the movie and LOVE the tradition in that. I tried that very thing with stars in the sky and Amado looked at me and said "ok, Mommy". lmao.

And, for what it's worth-you probably got that analogy stuck in her mind. :-D

Rachel said...

Too cute! You are such a good mommy. Your love for Mari is so apparent & beautiful! :)

Troy and Rachel said...

Adorable!!! Right now Daniel and I love each other to the moon and back. Of course last night he mentioned loving me to the ceiling fan and back so it seems to fluxuate! He did mention seeing "Jill, Mari's mommy" when I picked him up yesterday!

Chad & Lesa said...

So cute...and to me that fits Miss Mari perfectly!!

Laura Duksta said...

I get to say it again...I love how the phrase "I Love You More" brings me into the worlds of so many amazing human beings! Thanks for being a great Mom! Mari is precious!!
And...you may just want to check out my book "I Love You More"...I think the 2 of you may enjoy it ;-)

Keep Shining!!
Laura Duksta
author, I Love You More

veggiemom said...

lol :-)

Julie said...

Aww,that is so sweet!!